Distance: 40 km | Difficulty: Demanding | Start/Finish: Nairobi
The most popular route although not the most scenic. It is also the fastest route to point Lenana. Take this classic route up Mount Kenya though the notoriously treacherous vertical bog and into the wide Teleki Valley beneath the Tryndall, The Lewis Glacier.
Though the summit can be reached in 4 days as per the below itinerary, we strongly recommend an overnight acclimatization at the base, Naromoru River Lodge. This can be arranged for at an extra fee.
Day 1: Nairobi/Meteorological Station 3-4 hrs, 10km, 400m ascent
Transfer to Naromoru Park Gate for registration and where the hike starts, 2600m From the gate, keep to the park track, which follows the crest of a board ridge between the Northern and Southern Naromoru valleys. The going is easy and it’s a pleasant walking through the forest. About two thirds of the way up after the bridge there are good views to the left north down into the Northern Naromoru valley. The trek ends at Met station 3,000m where dinner and overnight rest will be, B, L, D
Day 2: Met Station/Mackinders Camp 5-6 hrs, 10km, 1200m ascent
Head uphill on the track to pass the radio must on your right after about half an hour. The trek runs into a path and after another 30 minutes, you will reach the end of the forest belt and enter the moorland. This is the vertical bog conditions range from damp to glutinous depending on when it last rained. Continue through until the going improves and you reach a fork overlooking Teleki Valley to reach Mackinders Camp, 4,200m. Dinner and overnight at Mackinders Camp, B, L, D
Day 3: Mackinders Camp/Point Lenana/Met Station 8-10 hrs, 11km, 785m ascent
The normal approach is to start at 2 am in order to reach point Lenana taking about 4 hr walk by sunrise at 6:30am. After sunrise, descend down to Mackinders Camp for breakfast, 2hrs and walk further 4hrs, way back to Met Station for dinner and overnight, B, L, D
Day 4: Met Station/Naromoru/Nairobi 3hrs, 9km, 400m
After breakfast, descend through the rainforest which is 9km to Naromoru Park Gate at 2,600m where you will connect with your transport back to Nairobi, B, L
Tour cost: US$ 550 per person
Included in the price:
- Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation
- Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.
- Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes
- Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
- Start and finish Nairobi
- Treated water on the trek.
- On completion, successful climb Certificate
- Laundry, tips, sleeping bags, drinks, accommodation before the trek and climbing gears
- International flights
- Visas to Kenya
- Items of personal nature
- Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary